SUPERCHARGING YOUR STORYTIMES:
Using Interactivity, Intentionality, and Community of Practice to Help Children Learn with Joy
[This class is also offered online through Library Juice Academy]
Full day (6 content hours, 7.5 hours including lunch/breaks)
Yes! Research shows that what we do in storytimes makes a difference in children's early literacy behaviors. Familiarize yourself withthe VIEWS2 study and the VIEWS2 domains to intentionally connect them to storytime activities thereby enhancing children’s early literacy using the principles of a supercharged storytime: interactivity, intentionality, scaffolding, parent tips, self-reflection, assessment, and community of practice. Hands-on practice and opportunities to share your storytime ideas.
Participant Limit: 50
Please bring a book you like to use in storytimes. If you do not do storytimes, please bring a book you like to share with a child anywhere from 2 to 5 years old. No one will be put on the spot to do a storytime.
Click the button below for Planner's Checklist to prepare for the training. Thank you.
Files included in packet for each participant: two-sided, black and white ok unless noted otherwise
1. Powerpoint handout (to be emailed to you) 2 sided, black and white ok.
2. Materials Mentioned
3. Storytimes Matter
4. Dialogic/Interactive Reading (two-sided, folded if you like) Word PDF
5. Self Reflection and Talking Worksheet
6. VIEW2 Planning Tool (single, sided, b&w, NOT stapled, may be paper clipped together)
7. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet for Language/Communication Filled In
8. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet for Language/Communication (colored paper preferred)
9. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Extension Worksheet
10. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet (different colored paper preferred)
11. Crosswalk to Head Start
12. Crosswalk to your state's Early Learning Guidelines (will be emailed to you)
13. What Can I Say?
14. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet with Early Literacy Tip (different colored paper preferred)
15. On-Going Outcome-Based Planning and Self-Reflection Worksheet
16. Long-Term Self-Reflection Worksheet
17. VIEWS2 Peer Mentoring Worksheet
18. Elevator Speeches
Every Child Ready to Read brochure: Early Literacy Begins with You from ALA Store (see Planner's Checklist)
The following items may be of interest but need not be copied for the workshop:
If you are interested in the connections between the VIEWS2 Planning Tool and Every Child Ready to Read2, these may be helpful.
Crosswalk Between VIEWS2 Planning Tool Domains and Every Child Ready to Read2 Early Literacy Components/Practices
Supercharged Storytimes and Every Child Ready to Read2 Supplement to VIEWS2 Planning Tool
For digital versions of assessment tools see the webextra page for Supercharged Storytimes at ALA Editions.
Supercharged Storytimes: An Early Literacy Planning and Assessment Guide book from ALA Editions
The VIEWS2 Study site for more information and videos on the VIEWS2 Planning Tool domains.