SUPERCHARGING YOUR STORYTIMES:
Using Interactivity, Intentionality, and Community of Practice Making to Help Children Learn with Joy
Full day (6 content hours, 7.5 hours including lunch/breaks)
Yes! What you do in your storytimes makes a difference in children's early literacy behaviors. Familiarize yourself with your state’s early learning guidelines or use the VIEWS2 domains to intentionally connect them to storytime activities thereby enhancing children’s early literacy using the three principles of a supercharged storytime: intentionality, interactivity, and community of practice. Hands-on practice and opportunities to share your storytime ideas.
Participant Limit: 50
Please bring a book you like to use in storytimes. If you do not do storytimes, please bring a book you like to share with a child anywhere from 2 to 5 years old. No one will be put on the spot to do a storytime.
Files included in packet for each participant: two-sided, black and white ok unless noted otherwise
1. Powerpoint handout (to be emailed to you) 2 sided, black and white ok.
2. Materials Mentioned
3. Storytimes Matter
4. Dialogic/Interactive Reading
5. Self-Reflection and Talking Worksheet
6. VIEW2 Planning Tool (single, sided, b&w, NOT stapled, may be paper clipped together)
7. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet for Language/Communication (colored paper preferred)
8. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Extension Worksheet
9. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet (different colored paper preferred)
10. Crosswalk to Head Start
11. Crosswalk to your state's Early Learning Guidelines (will be emailed to you)
12. What Can I Say?
13. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet with Early Literacy Tip (different colored paper preferred)
14. Elevator Speeches
Every Child Ready to Read brochure: Early Literacy Begins with You from ALA Store (see Planner's Checklist)
The following are optional:
15. On-Going Outcome-Based Planning and Self-Reflection Worksheet
16. Long-Term Self-Reflection Worksheet
17. VIEWS2 Peer Mentoring Worksheet