SUPERCHARGING YOUR STORYTIMES:
Using Interactivity, Intentionality, and Community of Practice to Help Children Learn with Joy
Full day (6 content hours, 7.5 hours including lunch/breaks)
Yes! Research shows that what we do in storytimes makes a difference in children's early literacy behaviors. The pillars that make a difference are interactivity, intentionality, scaffolding, parent tips, self-reflection, assessment, and community of practice. You may choose the early literacy structure you would like to use in the training: the Early Literacy Planning Tool based on the Every Child Ready to Read2 early literacy components or the VIEWS2 Planning Tool based on Washington State Early Learning Benchmarks used in the VIEWS2 study. Either way, storytime providers use the pillars to build on the storytimes and materials they already use, and come away with renewed insights and renewed vigor as they also become more articulate advocates in their communities.
So . . . what's the difference between this workshop and Storytimes for Everyone?
This training uses a Planning Tool as the basis for implementing intentionality and spends more time on storytime assessment. Storytimes for Everyone talks about intentionality without the use of the Planning Tool, and includes a demonstration of a storytime incorporating early literacy tips.
Participant Limit: 50
Please bring a book you like to use in storytimes. If you do not do storytimes, please bring a book you like to share with a child anywhere from 2 to 5 years old. No one will be put on the spot to do a storytime.
Click the button below for Planner's Checklist to prepare for the training. Thank you.
Handouts For Early Literacy Planning Tool Based on Every Child Ready to Read Structure
Files included in packet for each participant: two-sided, black and white ok unless noted otherwise. Staple multi-page documents.
1. Powerpoint handout (to be emailed to you) 2 sided, black and white ok.
2. Materials Mentioned
3. Sharing Books with Young Children
4. SHARE STEP: Sharing Books with Infants and Toddlers (two-sided, may be cut in half for “two-up”)
5. Interactive Reading (two-sided, folded if you like)
6. Interactivity Self-Reflection Worksheet
7. Early Literacy and You: Overview
8. Early Literacy Planning Tool (two-sided, stapled)
9. Intentionality, Early Literacy Components, and Your Book (on colored paper, if possible)
10. Early Literacy Planning Tool Worksheet
11. What Will I Say? (on different colored paper, if possible)
12. What Can I Say? (two-sided, stapled)
13. Self-Reflection Worksheet
14. Peer Observation Worksheet
15. Elevator Speeches
Handouts For VIEWS2 Planning Tool Structure
6. VIEW2 Planning Tool (single-sided, b&w, NOT stapled, may be paper clipped together)
7. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet for Language Use Filled In
8. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet for Language/Communication (colored paper preferred)
9. Every Child Ready to Read Supplement to VIEWS2 Planning Tool (single-sided, stapled)
10. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Extension Worksheet
11. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet (different colored paper preferred)
12. Crosswalk to Head Start
13. What Can I Say?
14. VIEWS2 Planning Tool Tip Sheet with Early Literacy Tip (different colored paper preferred)
15. On-Going Outcome-Based Planning and Self-Reflection Worksheet
16. Long-Term Self-Reflection Worksheet
17. VIEWS2 Peer Mentoring Worksheet
18. Elevator Speeches
Every Child Ready to Read brochure: Early Literacy Begins with You from ALA Store (see Planner's Checklist)
The following items may be of interest but need not be copied for the workshop:
If you are interested in the connections between the VIEWS2 Planning Tool and Every Child Ready to Read2, these may be helpful.
Crosswalk Between VIEWS2 Planning Tool Domains and Every Child Ready to Read2 Early Literacy Components/Practices
Supercharged Storytimes and Every Child Ready to Read2 Supplement to VIEWS2 Planning Tool
For digital versions of assessment tools for self-reflection and coaching see the webextra page for Supercharged Storytimes at ALA Editions.
Book: Supercharged Storytimes: An Early Literacy Planning and Assessment Guide from ALA Editions
The VIEWS2 Study site for more information and videos on the VIEWS2 Planning Tool domains.