STORYTIMES FOR EVERYONE
Adults as Partners in Developing Language and Literacy in Young Children
Full day (6 content hours, 7.5 hours including lunch/breaks)
Enhance your storytimes by incorporating information for parents/caregivers into them. Includes overview of early literacy components including examples of the development from newborn to five-year-olds, the five practices (sing, talk, read, write, play), and techniques for planning storytimes that reach adults and children and specific ideas for doing so. How does addressing caregivers change your storytimes? How can your early literacy enhanced storytimes become a catalyst for change in your community? Hands-on practice developing a literacy-enhanced storytime by building on what they already do in storytimes.
Participant Limit: 50
Bring with you the following: 1. Storytime Plan (can be hand written) 2. One book from the storytime
Participants who do not present storytimes: Please bring one picture book that you enjoy and would use with a child any age between 2 – 5 years old. NO ONE will be put on the spot to present a storytime!
Click the button below for Planner's Checklist to prepare for the training. Thank you.
A Powerpoint presentation in 3-to-a-page note-taking format will be provided by email (black & white, 2 sided ok; stapled). You may download the entire materials packet, or select the individual files you need below. Workshop materials are available in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the materials. Visit Adobe to download this free software.
Files included in packet:
- Powerpoint handout (to be emailed to you) 2 sided, black and white ok
- Materials Mentioned
- Overview of Early Literacy
- Talking with Young Children
- Sharing Books with Young Children (2-sided, folded in half, color or b&w) Word
- Interactivity Self-Reflection Worksheet
- Connecting Books and Early Literacy Components Worksheet--on colored paper, if possible
- Words, Words, Words
- Demonstration Storytime Plan
- Storytime Parent Handout
- What Will I Say? (prefer colored paper)
- What Can I Say?
- Self-Reflection Worksheet (optional)
- Tools for Storytime Observation/Evaluation (Optional)