STEP INTO STORYTIME
StoryTime Effective Practice for Mixed-Age (Newborn to Age 5) Storytimes
Full day (6 content hours, 7.5 hours including lunch/breaks)
The whys and hows of planning and presenting storytimes targeted for newborn to five-year-olds and their parents/caregivers. Includes information on child development, demonstration of storytime models, examples of how to present books/activities in different ways to meet the needs of the wide age range of children, and ways to share early literacy information as part of storytime. Hands-on practice and idea sharing bring it all to life.
Participant Limit: 50
Bring the following:
1. Words to an action rhyme/fingerplay or action song.
2. Book that works well for more than one age-group (0-18 months, 18 - 35 months, 3 - 5 years)
Click the button below for Planner's Checklist to prepare for the training. Thank you.
A Powerpoint presentation in 3-to-a-page note-taking format will be provided by email (black & white, 2 sided ok; stapled). Workshop materials are available in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the materials. Visit Adobe to download this free software.
There are two types of handouts--one to be handed out (preferably in folders) as they enter. Another set will be held out separately for me to distribute at appropriate times during the training.
- Powerpoint handout (to be emailed) two-sided, black and white ok
- Materials Mentioned
- Stages and Storytimes Part 1 (2 sided ok) Word PDF
- Storytime Item Worksheet (colored paper preferred)
- Mixed-Age Storytime Demonstration (2 sided ok)
- Too Much Noise Handout (2 sided ok)
- Early Literacy and You: An Overview
- Developmental Progression of Skills (2 sided ok)
- Early Literacy Asides and Parent Tips (2 sided ok)
- Mixed-Age Storytime Planning Worksheet
- Stages and Storytimes Part 2 (2 sided ok) Word PDF (copy and hold this out in a separate pile for Saroj)